Vegan Coconutty Curry With Rice Noodles
This week, I was totally craving rice noodles — something I haven’t had in years. When I went totally sugar-free almost 3-years ago, I also had to give up white rice products, since they convert to sugar in the body, easily. So, that was the end of rice noodles for me.
But, now that I can eat fruit again, and I’ve added back potatoes, I decided to add back in rice vermicelli noodles, too. Of course, I haven’t returned to eating any type of added sugar — no maple syrup, agave, honey, white sugar, or any other type of added sugar for me. But, since stopping heavy-duty treatment, I’m allowed to re-introduce other foods that I’ve been avoiding: like potatoes and rice.
So, here we are. Today’s Food Love recipe is for Vegan Coconutty Curry With Rice Vermicelli Noodles. Tucking into this noodle dish was so heavenly. I love how creamy the sauce is, and the noodles are so thin, soft, and satisfying.
You really need to try this recipe out. You’ll love it.
- This recipe is for 4-5 servings
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 2 zucchinis (cut)
- 4 medium sized carrots (cut)
- 2 kale leaves without stalks (chopped)
- 1/2 of a sweet, white onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 spring onions (chopped)
- 1 big handful of chopped cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 inch cube of ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of ground fennel
- 1 tsp of ground turmeric
- 1/2 pack of rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp of oil (grape seed, safflower, peanut, whatever)
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- Heat-up a large pot or wok. When it is hot, reduce the temperature to medium. Add 2 tbsp of oil to the pot or wok.
- To the oil, add the roughly chopped white onion. To the onion, add all of the spices. Cook the spices and onion for 2-minutes on medium heat.
- Add the carrots, red bell pepper, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. (**do not add the other veggies, yet.)
- Add 2 big pinches of sea salt and pepper.
- Pour in the coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Stir.
- Cook the stew for 15 minutes. The liquid should be lightly bubbling.
- Add the zucchini and kale. Continue to cook the stew until all of the veggies are as soft as you want them. This will take approximately another 10-15 minutes.
- When the veggies are softened, and ready to eat, add the juice of 1/2 lime and 1 big handful of chopped coriander. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Taste the stew. Is there enough salt and pepper? Add salt a little bit at a time, until the liquid is sufficiently seasoned.
- Serve the curry on top of rice noodles, or brown rice, or quinoa. Sprinkle chopped green spring onion on top. You can also add toasted, chopped cashews as well.
- Make the Rice Noodles
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Turn the heat off. Add 1 half pack of rice vermicelli noodles. Soak the noodles for 4-minutes. Strain the noodles and serve immediately.