Sugar-Free Vegan Super Strawberry Ice Cream
Nothing screams summer more than strawberry season…am I right? These little red berries are such magic on a hot breezy day. They’re the first thing that I pick-up when I visit my local farmers’ market.
There are two really good farmers’ markets in my neighbourhood, each week. The Leslieville Farmers’ Market is an off-the-hook, drum beat, kids playing, sea of people on Sundays. The fruits and veggies are gorgeous, and Augie’s Gourmet Ice Pops makes a fabulous, sugar-free spiced apple cider ice pop that I love.
On Wednesdays, the Fairmount Park Farmers’ Market is a quite affair. Held right beside some of my favorite, and always free public tennis courts, this market was my strawberry supplier for this weeks Super Strawberry Sugar-Free Vegan Ice Cream.
Making vegan ice cream is a breeze. I have no idea why I waited so long to try it. I guess living without ice cream just became second nature to me. But, a few weeks ago, when I attempted to make green tea ice cream (it’s on the blog, just click here), it turned out so wonderfully that I was surprised that I could have gone without ice cream for 3 years.
Living sugar-free doesn’t have to be an exercise in deprivation. I’m learning more and more each day on how to reinvent sugary recipes using only fruit and my favorite vanilla liquid stevia.
Now…onto today’s recipe.
- 2 cups of whole strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped strawberries
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 8 Medjool dates
- 1/8 tsp + 8 drops of NuNaturals alcohol free vanilla liquid stevia
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 can of whole fat coconut milk
- 1/2 avocado
- Make the strawberry puree first:
- Into a blender place 2 cups of whole strawberries
- Add 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- Add one pinch of salt
- Add 4 dates (pitted)
- Add 1/8 tsp of NuNaturals alcohol free vanilla liquid stevia
- Turn the blender on, and puree.
- Add the strawberry puree to a medium sized pot, and cook the puree at low medium heat for 15 minutes (you want the puree to bubble gently).
- After 15 minutes set the puree aside to cool.
- Make the coconut milk ice cream base next:
- Into the blender, pour 1 can of coconut milk
- Add 4 Medjool dates, one pinch of salt, and 1/2 avocado.
- Blend all ingredients together.
- Once blended, pour the strawberry puree into the blender too.
- Turn the blender on again to mix the coconut base and puree together
- Once blended, pour the ice cream mixture into a bowl, and place the bowl in the fridge.
- The mixture has to cool completely before you put it in your ice cream maker.
- Chop strawberries next:
- Chop strawberries into small, bite sized pieces. (make 1 1/2 cups of chopped strawberries)
- Put 8 drops of vanilla liquid stevia on the chopped strawberries and mix.
- Mash the strawberries with a fork a little bit.
- Once the ice cream mixture is cooled, place it in your ice cream maker.
- Follow your ice cream maker’s instructions.
- Churn until the ice cream is thick.
- Once the ice cream is made, scoop it into a large bowl, and fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Store the ice cream in covered containers in the freezer.
- Before eating, let the ice cream thaw for 15-20 minutes.
- Vegan ice cream freezes really hard, so you need to thaw it before eating.