RAW Sugar-Free Vegan Yogurt
Tangy, creamy and coconutty, this RAW vegan coconut almond yogurt is so luscious and incredibly simple to make.
All you need is a toastie, warm place for the coconut & almond milk to get busy and get fermenting. I like to whip this yogurt recipe up, and incubate it in my Excalibur Dehydrator. You can also incubate the yogurt in an oven, in a crock pot or on top of a heating pad (yes…you can be unconventional even when you’re making yogurt!)
Yogurt is a fabulous way to give your body, and your tummy in particular, beneficial bacteria that aid in digestion and elimination. I love to eat fermented foods — especially yogurt.
I really love the consistency of Greek yogurt: the thicker, the better. But Greek yogurt is a dairy product, and I like to keep dairy to a minimum in my diet. So…off to the kitchen I went to experiment with coconut milk and almonds. And, voila! I discovered that it is surprisingly easy to make vegan yogurt without breaking a sweat!
- 1 can of organic coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 cup of soaked, raw almonds (soaked over night)
- 4 capsules of a probiotic (I use Metagenics Ultra Flora Balance – each capsule contains 15 billion live bacteria)
- A warm place to incubate your yogurt (incubation temperature is 115 degree Fahrenheit)
- Pour the coconut milk into a high speed blender (Vitamix)
- Add the soaked almonds
- Turn the blender on high, and blend for 2 mintues
- Add the 4 capsules of probiotics, and blend once again for 30 seconds
- Pour the milk mixture into a glass bowl or big glass jar. Place a loose lid on top (you can use a cloth or make the yogurt in a ceramic baking dish with lid).
- Place the bowl or jar into a warm place set to 115 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 hours
- After 6 hours, the coconut and almond milk mixture will turn to tangy, delicious yogurt. If there is a thin skin on top of the yogurt, that’s ok, just stir the yogurt.
- Store the yogurt in a big glass jar with a lid. It will last up to 5 days.
Do not incubate the yogurt in metal or plastic. Only use a glass or ceramic container.