RAW Vegan Cashew Cheez With Rosemary
Today’s Food Love recipe is super easy and super delicious. RAW vegan cashew cheez is perfect to have on hand to liven up a sandwich, to simply have with crackers, or to add creaminess to vegan pizza.
If you love dairy but dairy doesn’t love you, try this recipe for yourself. You never know…it might be your ticket out of gas and bloating ville without saying bye-bye to something creamy and comforting.
Last year I thought it would be wonderful to have a spreadable cheese that wasn’t made from dairy. So off I went into research mode, to find out if it was possible to make a dip or spreadable topping that had the same consistency as cheese but wasn’t actually cheese.
I discovered that it was very easy to make something that was creamy and rich, just like cream cheese, but it didn’t contain diary at all.
The land of RAW nut cheeses has been amazing. I find the recipe to be very forgiving. You can put any number of spice and herb combinations into the basic recipe. And because of that, I encourage you to experiment!
I typically stick to flavouring my RAW nut cheese with rosemary and thyme. But it’s only because I love that herb combo. You can also flavour the cheese with sage, oregano, chives, cilantro, parsley, dill or tarragon. The sky’s the limit.
- 2 cups RAW cashews
- 4 cups of fresh water for soaking the cashews
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 3 probiotic capsules (each containing 15 million bacteria)
- 2 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped red pepper
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp of ground pepper
- Soak the RAW cashews in water overnight.
- Strain the soaked cashews in a sieve. Discard all of the soaking water.
- Pour the cashews into a food processor.
- Add the garlic, probiotics, 2 tbsp of water, nutritional yeast, sea salt and pepper. Blend this mixture until it is smooth, very smooth. Scrap the food processor bowl down twice, until the whole mixture is smooth.
- Put the smooth nut mixture into a bowl, and fold in the red pepper, red onion and rosemary.
- Put the whole mixture into a cheese cloth that is placed within a colander. Lightly twist the cheese cloth around the mixture. Place a heavy pot onto of the mixture held within the cheese cloth, and keep the cheez on the counter over night.
- Serve the RAW cheez on crackers or veggies. And, it’s great in sandwiches or wraps.