Orange & Lemon Sugar-Free Icy Slushie
Whoa. It suddenly went from being one of the coldest and rainiest Springs that I can ever remember, to a scorching Summer. It was over 90 degrees in my house, yesterday, and I was on the hunt for a way to cool the heck down.
As a watched my two kitties basking in the sunshine (they can’t get enough of this super sweaty heat), I grabbed an orange, a lemon, my all-time favourite vanilla liquid stevia, some ice and a blender, and I decided to do an icy slushie experiment.
I love slushies — in the States, they’re usually called Snowballs. As a teenager I used to pop over to the 7-11 and pick-up a half Coke and half cherry slushie, all the time. I can’t believe that I used to eat crap like that!
It’s now been many years since I’ve totally transformed my diet: I haven’t had a Coke or any type of soda in over 8-years. But, I still love the thought of slushies — their icy goodness is such a treat on a hot summery day. And, this heat made me think, ‘why not make a sugar-free blender drink?’ So, that’s what I did.
- 1/2 orange
- 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup of water
- 20 drops of NuNaturals vanilla liquid stevia
- 5 ice cubes
- Using a reamer or citrus juicer, juice 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon into a bowl. Remove the seeds.
- Pour the orange and lemon juice into a blender.
- To the blender add 1 cup of water, 20 drops of vanilla liquid stevia, and 5 ice cubes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Taste the mixture before you pour it out. Ask yourself, ‘is it sweet enough?’. If not, add 2 more drops of vanilla liquid stevia and blend again.
- Quickly pour the drink into a tall glass.