Kale Kapow! Salad With Tahini Dressing
I love kale.
Give it to me any which way: kale chips, sauteed with mushrooms, in a soup, in a fresh juice — just give me all the kale you’ve got!
I think I’m so drawn to kale because of it’s deep green colour. I love to ‘green-up’ every meal I have, and kale fills that role so well. It was a pleasure to see it in my CSA organic share box, yesterday. And, as soon as I saw it, I immediately thought that I needed to share this salad recipe with you.
Did you know that kale is amazing when raw?
This recipe emerged from the brilliant mind of my love, who is a chef, and can whip amazing meals out of nothing. He was hankering for a hardy salad, and he came up with this amazingly tasty salad recipe that can easy be the main focus for lunch or dinner.
The amazing flavour comes from the tahini dressing. Tahini is sesame seed butter. I love how earthy it tastes. You usually find tahini in hummus: I never thought of putting it in a salad dressing. When my honey handed me a big bowl of this salad, it was like a revolution for my taste buds.
Tahini dressing definitely packs a flavour punch…hense the word: Kapow!
- This recipe is for one large salad
- 2 big handfuls of chopped kale (without the stock)
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small apple
- a handful of walnuts (or any nut)
- a handful of sunflower seeds (or any seed)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp of water
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- Place the tahini in a small bowl. Add the lemon juice, and thoroughly mix.
- Add the olive oil and mix.
- Add the salt, pepper, and water. Mix thoroughly
- Assemble the salad:
- Place the chopped kale into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Julienne the carrots and apple. I like to use my jumbo Benriner.
- Roughly chop the walnuts.
- Add the julienned carrots, apple, chopped walnuts, and sunflower seeds to the kale.
- Drizzle the tahini salad dressing on top of the salad. Thoroughly mix the dressing into the salad.