Gluten-Free Vegetarian Beautiful Beet Pasta
The other day, I was staring into the fridge, wondering what to make for dinner. I spotted two beets, some roasted red peppers and a handful of kale. I had just bought some brown rice pasta, so I thought, “why not? I can make pasta with beets, right?”
Well…the kitchen Gods were right. You can absolutely make an amazing tasting pasta with beets as the main attraction. And, the slightly sweet, earthy flavour is so scrumptious that I felt compelled to share the recipe with you.
And, I also have to mention that the colours of this dish are incredible! Every shade of pink shows up in the bowl, and makes your dining experience extra visually stimulating.
Now, I’ve had many a conversation with people about the texture of brown rice pasta. Many people say that it’s mushy and hard to cook. And, I agree, some rice pastas are very mushy. But here’s the thing…just find another brand, Sweet Peach. The market is now full of different kinds of rice pasta. And, I’m sure that there is one to suit your lovely palette.
I, myself, really enjoy Rizopia’s Organic Wild Rice Pasta (penne, please!). This pasta contains a great deal of rice fiber. Once cooked, it has a great bite to it, just like any other wheat based pasta. I love this product so much that I travel pretty darn far to get it. And, when I do see it before me, I buy as many packages as possible — I like to stock up on my favorite items.
- 4 cups of dry gluten-free pasta
- 3 cups of canned crushed tomatoes (I love these organic, BPA-free canned tomatoes)
- 2 medium sized beets (peeled and cubed into 2 cm squared pieces)
- 2 handfuls of chopped kale
- 2 roasted red peppers (sliced)
- 1/2 medium sized onion (sliced)
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 3 tbsp of goat cheese
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground pepper
- Optional: 1/4 tsp of finely chopped red hot chili peppers
- I cut the beets into 2 cm square, bite sized pieces.
- I then steam the beets for 18 minutes. I like the beets to be soft, but not too soft.
- Heat up a large pan on the stove.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the sliced onions, and cook them until soft and slightly brown.
- Add the kale with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the kale for 4 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano and 1/2 tsp of sea salt. Cook on low/medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Cook 4 cups of dry gluten-free pasta according to the package directions.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it. Pour the pasta back into a large pot and add the tomato sauce, beets and sliced red peppers. You can add your hot chillies if you want to. Crumble the goat cheese into the pasta too. Fold everything in and enjoy!