Gluten-Free Spiced Rice & Veggie Wrap
It’s another beautiful week for a new wrap recipe. This one uses one of my all time favorite products: Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas.
Did you catch last week’s wrap recipe? Click here to discover the amazing coconut wraps by Pure Wraps: they’re raw, vegan, gluten-free, and paleo. I loved them so much that I ate a whole pack in one day.
Today’s recipe is inspired by my lack of enthusiasm to cook lunch, yesterday. It’s pretty swampy hot here in Toronto, and I had no desire to spend a great deal of time making lunch. So, I got all innovative, and I whipped this wrap recipe up in about 15 minutes. It turned out so well that I decided to share it with you.
There is a little bit of an art to dealing with brown rice tortillas. They have to be stored in the freezer since they’re preservative free. This complicates things a little because if you leave the wrap out to thaw, it will turn into cardboard.
So, if you haven’t bought Food for Life brown rice tortillas before, just know this…put the wrap in a toaster oven, or your oven, set to high heat for about 2-minutes. This will thaw the wrap out enough to be pliable without drying the wrap out so much that it hardens.
Brown rice tortillas are very versatile, that’s why I love them. You can make thin crust gluten-free pizza with them, or just toast them up and serve with sugar-free chocolate spread. I usually by 10 packs of wraps at a time, since I eat them so often.
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 tomato chopped
- salt pepper
- 1/2 avocado
- 6 asparagus spears
- 1 roasted yellow or red bell pepper
- handful of chopped greens
- grape seed oil
- goat cheese (optional)
- Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas
- To Make the Rice Filling
- Heat up a pan on medium high heat
- Add 1 tbsp of grape seed oil to the hot pan
- Add the sliced red onion to the pan, and lower the heat to medium
- Cook onion until lightly browned (about 5 minutes)
- To the cooked onion, add the cumin and paprika. Stir.
- Add 1 cup of cooked brown rice, 1/2 clove of minced garlic, and 1/4 cup of water. Stir.
- Add the 1/2 chopped tomato, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes, then set aside
- Cook the Asparagus
- In a pan heated to medium high heat, add 1 tbsp of grape seed oil.
- Place the asparagus in the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the asparagus often.
- How to Roast a Bell Pepper
- Set your oven to 450 degree Fahrenheit
- Using scissors, cut the stem off of your bell pepper. But keep the pepper whole.
- Set it upside down (stem side down) on a parchment line baking sheet
- Place the pepper on the baking sheet in the oven for about 30-35 minutes
- You want the skin to turn brown or black in spots.
- And you want the pepper to deflate a bit
- Set the pepper aside to cool. Then peel the skin off and discard the inner pit and seeds
- Assemble Your Wrap
- Place a small amount of rice filling onto your wrap
- Add sliced avocado, 3 asparagus spears, sliced roasted pepper, sliced greens and some goat cheese.
- Wrap her all up and enjoy!
- Note: This recipe was made with asparagus that was already cooked, and roasted bell peppers that were already roasted the day before. It was also made with leftover brown rice.