Almond Butter Sandwich Bread
Seven years ago when I first started to eat gluten-free, I was amazed to discover that there was only one gluten-free bread option on the market, and no gluten-free bread recipes out there. And, really…calling store-bought gluten-free bread actually ‘bread’ was a stretch, since it had the consistency and weight of a heavy brick, and it tasted like a mouth full of saw dust. Needless to say…years ago, store bought gluten-free bread was down right disgusting.
Because of the ick factor, I went without eating bread for about 2 years: that’s until local bakers here in Toronto started to experiment and offer gluten-free breads that tasted amazing.
I remember the day, vividly, when I heard about a local bakery here in Toronto that was selling an outrageously scrumptious gluten-free bread. I hightailed it to the shop, and bought a loaf. When I arrived home, I immediately made a grilled cheese sandwich…I hadn’t had one in 2 years. I was in heaven…the bread was light, crispy when toasted, and the taste was just like I was eating a regular, wheat-based, loaf. I was ecstatic.
What I wasn’t ecstatic about, however, was the price: the loaf cost $8.50. Hello! That’s crazy expensive! I don’t know about you, but I’m not about to pay that kind of moolah for a loaf of bread on a regular basis.
And, so we arrive at today’s recipe for almond butter bread. I’m the kind of girl that likes to find a way to make lovely tasting gluten-free & sugar-free food, out of my own kitchen, for far less than retail shop prices. And, I also like the idea of always knowing what’s in my food. I like to avoid all chemicals, GMOs and general fakery, since I’m trying to get my body to heal from a chronic illness.
Today’s recipe for Gluten-Free Almond Butter Bread is very easy and quick. And, it makes a lovely sandwich bread. Give it go!
- 1 cup of organic 100% almond butter
- 4 large organic eggs
- 2 tbsp of RAW apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/3 cup of chia seeds
- 1/4 cup of sesame seeds (for topping)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Into a large stand mixer, place 1 cup of 100% almond butter. Turn the mixer on for 3 minutes to soften the almond butter.
- Add the eggs. Turn the mixer on again, and mix the eggs and almond butter together, thoroughly. You want the mixture to be smooth. Scrape the bowl a few times.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, baking soda, sea salt and chia seeds. Mix until all incorporated.
- Grease and line with parchment paper an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. I usually use olive oil or coconut oil to grease the tin first. Greasing the tin helps you to line the tin with parchment paper — the paper sticks to the oil, thus holding it in place.
- Pour the bread batter (it will be like thick cake batter) into the lined loaf pan.
- Liberally sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the batter. Lightly press the seeds into the top of the batter using your fingers.
- Bake the bread for 35-40 minutes. The top will be golden brown. Poke the bread with a toothpick — it’s done when the toothpick comes out clean.